This XBlock allows to include Brightcove videos within an edX course.
Note: Ooyala has been shutdown since
April 2020 so the XBlock
has been renamed to Brightcove and only supports Brightcove videos now.
- Brightcove Video, the component to visualize the video.
- Transcript, which allows your users to interact with your video
using text capabilities (video words, search, navigation).
- Overlays, which allows you to place raw text or HTML content at
a specific moment in your video.
- Player token, which allows you to secure your video content
using a token with an expiration time.
Install the requirements into the python virtual environment of your
edx-platform installation by running the following command from the
pip install -r requirements.txt
This will install requirements and the Ooyala XBlock itself.
Enabling in Studio
You can enable the Ooyala XBlock in Studio through the advanced
- From the main page of a specific course, click on Settings,
Advanced Settings in the top menu.
- Locate the advanced_modules policy key, and add
"ooyala-player" to the policy value list.
- Click on the Save changes button.
Once enabled, you can find Ooyala Player component under the Advanced
tab in the Studio. When you add it to a course in the studio, the
block is set up with default content, shown in the screenshot
The following settings can be set in studio edit:
- Title: The title displayed in the unit for this xblock.
- Content Id: Brightcove content identifier.
- Transcript File Id: 3Play transcript file identifier. Leave empty
if your video does not use a transcript.
- 3Play Api key: 3play API key, to access the 3Play transcript file
- Enable Player Token: has to be set to
True if you want to use
short-lived tokens. Defaults to
- Partner Code: Ooyala partner code (also known as pcode) is
needed to be able to generate a player token. Only required when
using short-lived tokens.
- Api Key: Ooyala API key. Only required when using a transcript
file and/or short-lived tokens.
- Api Secret Key: Ooyala secret key. Only required when using
- Player Width: The width of the player in valid CSS units; defaults
- Player Height: The height of the player in valid CSS units;
- Expiration Time: the expiration time of a short-lived token in
seconds; defaults to
- XML Configuration: Allows you to configure advanced properties of
the player (ie. overlays) by editing the XML.
Custom workbench settings
Not available yet.
Starting the workbench
Not available yet.
- In a virtualenv, run
$ pip install -r requirements.txt
$ pip install -r tests/requirements.txt
$ pushd $VIRTUAL_ENV/src/xblock-sdk/; make install; popd
$ pushd $VIRTUAL_ENV/src/xblock-mentoring/; pip install -r requirements.txt; popd
- To run the tests, from the xblock-ooyala repository root:
$ python run_tests.py --with-cover --cover-package=ooyala_player
The Image Explorer XBlock is available under the GNU Affero General
Public License (AGPLv3).