Re-implementation of Android's MediaPlayer and audio effect classes based on OpenSL ES APIs.
I decided to develop this library to solve these frustrations.
- Android OS does not permit to create extension of
AudioEffect in application layer
- OpenSL ES is a primitive API sets, and it is difficult to use than
MediaPlayer class in Java
Visualizer provides very poor quality captured data (8 bit, monaural, 1024 samples/capture, 20 sampling/second)
Visualizer does not work properly on some devices
- Android's MediaPlayer and audio effect classes are buggy...
- Provides both C++ and Java API sets
- Smooth fade in/out when starts/pauses playback
- High quality resampler
- 10 bands graphic equalizer & pre. amplifier
- High quality Visualizer class (floating point, stereo, 32k samples/capture, 60 sampling/second)
- Does not support video playback, audio only ( Please use
ExoPlayer for video playback)
- Consumes more CPU resources than standard MediaPlayer and other AudioTrack/OpenSL based audio player products (ex. PowerAmp)
- Highly compatibility with standard
audio effect classes
- Implements a lot of workarounds, more better behavior and well-tested (
Standard* prefixed API classes)
- Provides Hybrid media player factory which is a player using OpenSL ES for decoding audio and using
AudioTrack for playback. This is the most recommended
MediaPlayer because it provides more tolerance for audio glitches than
OpenSLMediaPlayer but it can use all features of
- Provides some compatibility class or methods for older devices
- NEON/SSE optimized
- Android API level 14+ (since this library depends decoding feature introduced from API level 14)
- Version 0.7.5 (May 6, 2017)
Demo application (pre-built example apps)
See GitHub Pages site of this project.
Use pre-built library (for Android Studio only)
- Add these lines to
build.gradle of your project
- That's all ;)
Build from source
If you want to build this library from source, please refer to this article.
Refer to Wiki and JavaDoc.
- More optimize
- Improve JavaDoc comments
This library is licensed under the Apache Software License, Version 2.0, and contains some source code files delivered from product of Android Open Source Project (AOSP). See
AOSP.md for details.
Note that this library uses some third party libraries, so you also have to take care of their licenses.
License of OpenSLMediaPlayer (this library)
LICENSE for full of the license text.
Copyright (C) 2014-2015 Haruki Hasegawa
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
limitations under the License.
License of dependent libraries
cxxdasp, cxxporthelper, OpenSL ES CXX
These libraries are licensed under the Apache Software License, Version 2.0.
This library is licensed under the FFTPACK5 Software License.
This library is licensed under the BSD 3-Clause license.